On love and fasting

Today marks the first day of the last month in the Baha'i calendar, which is also our month of fasting. It is a very special time of the year. Nineteen days where you are constantly reminded by the aching in your belly and weariness that overcomes your body of the vital role nutrition plays in your life; a great physical reminder of the important role spiritual nourishment plays on the development of our souls--our vehicles in the worlds beyond this one. If our body can in one day grow so tired and wearied just from skipping essentially one meal, lunch, and a few snacks, imagine what the effect of starving our souls from prayer and communion with God must be? Prayer, meditation, and good deeds--all of these are nutrients for our spiritual selves.

I also really like the Fast because in general, discipline when it comes to food is NOT my strong suit (i lo-lo-love chocolate and sweets) and it's the only time of year I actually have the self control not to eat during the daylight hours. And I know that self control isn't born of a natural ability of mine, but is really the result of love. And I know He's helping me out:-)

We're all so much more aware of our spirituality these days, too. The elevated themes of our conversations were palpable today at work. It was so nice! A very special time to share together.

Even though it can be hard (honestly, I don't get that hungry, but I do get tired) it's, to me, such a special time of the year.

These are the days of the Fast. Blessed is the one who through the heat generated by the Fast increaseth his love, and who, with joy and radiance, ariseth to perform worthy deeds. Baha'u'llah

Comments