Naw Ruz

First off, shout out to my friend Jasmeen who also celebrates Naw Ruz.  I know a lot of my friends celebrate it, but I send my shout out to her because at Trinity we always shared that bond of celebrating the same new year date with each other (we were both the only, or in her case one of the only, members of our respective religions (Baha'i and Ismaeli--sorry if I killed that spelling, Jas!) on our campus).  Anyway, I just thought of you, J:)

Okay, that aside.  Naw Ruz- March 21.  The first day of spring!  The New Year for many.  The actually meaning of the phrase is "New Day".  The Fast just ended and after 19 days of 'filling the storehouse' I get to begin the new day.  

I am so excited about this year.  At exactly this time last year I was in California visiting my cousins and my dear friend Carmel, I had just found out I got accepted to come serve in Haifa, and had high hopes for the year ahead.  But I really could not have imagined exactly how wonderful it would be.  And now I have a whole other year here!  I really wish everyone I loved could come visit and just experience, even if for a few days, what this place is like.  I really cannot ever adequately convey it- no matter how much I try.  And maybe I belabor the point sometimes, but, it's just...so wonderful!  I don't know what else to say.

Anyway, this has been a GREAT year.  Definitely a much easier year than the previous one (grad school was awesome- I learned more in that one year than I think I did in my entire undergrad combined- and I got to know some incredible people and be mentored by one of the most amazing teachers in the nation--but it was not an easy year) but still one with growth and learning.  I don't know what this new year will bring, but I have a really good feeling about it...

We shall see:)  If you could see me right now I have a huge smile on my face.  This Fast was really special and I guess my spirit is still soaring!  Baha'u'llah says every hour of these days [of fasting] is endowed with a special virtue, inscrutable to all save God.  I may not be able to discern what they all are, but I feel them.  I feel them.


Comments

Ashley said…
I have a huge smile on my face too, dear. How interesting that Naw Ruz and Good Friday fall on the same day this year. We are both celebrating God's love today :) love you.