The Best of What's Around

**Reason #37 Why I heart dancing**

On Saturday I got to co-baby sit four kids. Ages 1, 18 months, 3 and 4. As the day wore on, the kids seemed to gain energy while ours (the sitters’) lagged. I was coming down with a cold, and zapped of energy due to that, and one of the others’ had been up since early in the morning, where she had, incidentally, been working with kids- so hers was pretty worn away, too.

The kids were, thankfully, incredibly well-behaved. But still, you know, kids--> soooo energetic! We got there at around 3:30, and by 5:30 the kids were growing restless while we were trying to rest. The two older girls put on some princess halloween costumes so we asked them to curtsy and show us their best princess moves, which of course, required music. Only none of us could figure out the sound system so I decided to play songs off my cell phone. Apparently, Jimmy Eat World and Dave Matthews are totally acceptable jams for even the most refined young princess;)

Anyway, the kids went crazy! The one year old went about his crawling but the other three started dancing excitedly in the middle of the room. And the one and a half-year old, a beautiful half-Filipino, half-Turkish child, was amazing. She grabbed hold of my cell phone and became the de facto dj, and wouldn’t stop dancing! Her dancing was more like really fast, side-to-side, waddle-waddle movements, but it was the cutest thing I have ever seen. Immediately, my energy was not only restored but boosted, and I found myself joining in on the dance party. I kept thinking, if ever someone doubted or momentarily forgot that there is beauty in the world, they should just watch a one-and-a-half-year old move excitedly to Dave Matthews’ “The best of what’s around” –an upbeat, celebratory song in itself—and he or she would realize there is yet beauty in this world.

Comments

Zhena said…
aw i would have loved to see that!!! little kids can be so cutie patutie as i like to say!!! and really its the most adorable thing to see them dancing with such fervor and joy!!! glad it boosted your energy!!!