The Cookie Jar

My friend Nasim sent me this link to an episode of "My American Life" which really explains the current housing crisis in the US quite well. I felt sick to my stomach at points listening to it. For so many reasons. The biggest one being the unbelievable amount of greed that has clearly taken over every healthy cell in our societal body. The Guardian of the Bahai Faith, Shoghi Effendi, described materialism as one of the United States' biggest challenges, comparing it to a great cancer eating away at the vitals of men. That metaphor has never felt more real to me than today.

It seems everyone, from Wallstreet investment banker, to gullible would-be homeowner, to savvy businessman, to not-so gullible homeowner has their hand in this cookie jar of greed. I doubt many Americans can truthfully analyze their habits and find themselves blameless of frivolous spending habits and materialistic inclinations. I know my hand has certainly been in that jar more times than I'd care to admit.

Comments