Storms

This story about the million homeless in Haiti, already the most impoverished island in the region, and the help this country so desperately needs, is heartbreaking. These real storms really have a way of putting our personal problems in perspective. I cannot imagine what kind of weight those who have no home, an aching belly, physical ailments, and no relief in sight are forced to carry every moment.   We glorify people who are often born into wealth and who do questionable things with their resources and their celebrity, yet these people who suffer daily, and who suffer quietly, but are still here--haven't killed themselves, haven't taken the easy way out--these people are far more worthy of our respect and admiration than the objects who usually get them.

As I read about Haiti, I stumbled upon another article on BBC News about Hurricane Ike and the mandatory evacuation set in place in Galveston, TX.  One man refused to leave, ignoring the order, and when reporters asked him why he chose to stay, he said, while walking near his home sippin on a beer, "If it ain't your time you ain't going anywhere."  That kind of mentality really saddens me.

What's that Muslim hadith, "Have faith in God but tie your camel"? Something along those lines... How can you just ignore the news, ignore the warnings, and so blithely assume that the consequences are destined.  I mean, we all have an expiration date, clearly, and for the most part, that date is out of our hands.  But you can't jump off a cliff and say, if it isn't my time God will save me.  I mean, YOU JUMPED OFF A CLIFF!  Anyway, I think his mentality is a slightly more extreme symptom of a very real laissez-faire mentality which plagues many of us and lulls us into a drunken-like stupor of inactivity and idiotic thinking...as we just wait for God to do or not do things for us.

I realize in an earlier post I talked about God being in charge of our lives, but I understand that relationship to be more as like the wind that blows the sails kind of thing, not the captain who completely steers our ship.  I mean, this is our life.  We still have to take the wheel and drive.  (I know, I'm mixing a lot of metaphors here today).

The point is...the point is we should all buy camels and tie them up and take sailing lessons, right?

Comments