Sweetness

I headed home from a busy day at work. I walked up the stairs to my flat lost in thought.

I wonder what kind of impact the Lehman's bankruptcy is really going to have on the overall global economy, and should I tell Nima that I didn't actually understand his analogy about collateral damage, and could he please come up with a different and better one. Oh yeah and WHEN am I going to fit in the gym this week, I mean, I told myself I'd only join if I was going to go three to four times and last week I only made it once. Oh shoot I didn't send out that email, either, but that's okay because it doesn't have to go out til tomorrow, I'll just have to make a mental note...and DRY CLEANING. Crap, I forgot that again.

All these thoughts, I was lost in. And then a voice behind me.

"Nava khanum! Chetori? (Miss Nava, How are you)"
"Khoobam, khoobam, merci. (Good, good, thank you)."
It was the elderly Persian gentleman who lives in my building.
We made small talk for a few minutes and then he said (in farsi) "I'm going to guide at the Shrines tonight, and I will pray for you." I turned and looked at him. "Aukhesh, thank you!"
"I mean it," he said. "I pray for you often."
"Thank you!" I said, this time with genuine gratitude and surprise in my voice. He looked me squarely in the eyes, and very seriously said, "I prayed for you a lot this week. I will pray for you tonight," and walked into his flat.

I see him many days on my way to work, and we always exchange pleasantries, but other than that, I've never spent any time with him, and he's one of the five Persian bahais I'm NOT related to in any way. Brings me back to my thoughts earlier in the week about interconnectedness. How sometimes people sense what you need precisely when you need it...

In any event, I was so moved thinking about his kindness in even remembering me, someone he barely knows, in his intimate moments with his Lord. Some of God's creatures, they're just...sweetness. Pure sweetness.

Comments