Real Life is Better than Fiction


Lindsey and Geoff worked at the same school together for years.  Geoff liked her right away.  But they both worked on the same team and the district had a firm policy.  One of them would have had to change schools or teach a different grade.  He did nothing, for several years.  His feelings grew and grew and then the year I started working at ISA—Lindsey as my mentor—he couldn’t wait any longer.  I remember asking Lindsey once if she liked the cute Biology teacher and she told me she would never date another team member.  It was almost like I’d accused her of a cardinal sin.  ‘Okayyyy, just a friendly (albeit nosy) question.  Won’t bring it up again!’

Lindsey and I grew close.  Best-friend-email-each-other-twelve-times-a-day-come-over-and-hang-out-after-work close.  So I knew when she was being weird and not-herself.  Like on Valentine’s Day.  She was especially antsy that day.  She sat at her desk tap-tapping her feet against the concrete slab and I asked what was wrong.  She merely pointed her nose at something on her desk.  It was a pack of white-chocolate dipped pretzels.  Her favorites.  OOOH can I HAVE some?!  I reached over and saw the note.  From the cute Biology teacher.  How he saw these and it made him think of her.  I bent over laughing.  Not because it was absurd but because of how she was reacting.  I asked again.  I don’t remember what she said just that it was convincing enough for me to believe that she didn’t have feelings for him and she was reacting this way because of the awkward factor.

Of course, I was duped.  Feelings she had, and plenty of them.  Lindsey and Geoff started dating, low key at first, but eventually they told their friends.  And then came my absolutely favorite I-love-you story of all time. 

It had been a few months.  He knew it from the beginning but he felt enough time had passed and he could finally tell her.  They’d been writing each other letters.  Making each other presents.  They came back to her house after a really sweet date together.  It was perfect, right?  They were standing on her porch saying goodnight when he finally said it.  Lindsey, I love you. Lindsey said nothing.  Instead she turned around, walked into the house, locked the door, turned off all the lights, and sat with her back pressed against the door.  Leaving Geoff outside on the dark porch, silently cursing himself for saying it too soon.

She didn’t call him all night.  Didn’t email him.  Nothing.  He texted her, “I’m sorry.”  She responded, “It’s fine.” It’s fine.  Poor guy!  I probably would have deleted her from my phone book, blocked her on g-chat and high-tailed it to Mexico, but he, of course, did none of those things.  Which is why he is now married to the love of his life.


Comments